What does your classroom library look like?
How have you organized your books?
What is the highest level of books you have available for your readers?
My largest project of the summer is to take inventory of and re-organize my classroom library. After 10 years, it's a project I just can't ignore any longer. I know what a huge task it is going to be so I actually started a little early. Here's my task list for this project:
- take note of each and every book in my classroom library & add to spreadsheet
- recycle any books damaged beyond repair (some of those paper back picture books just cannot be put back together one more time)
- donate some books that I have never touched, nor have my students
- put into storage books that are far beyond the levels I want to have available in a primary classroom (if the students really want those books, they can check them out from our school library)
- regroup and label the books into their final resting place (I hope)
I have quite a variety of random baskets to hold all of my book sets. I'm looking into different ideas for decorating next year. I'm trying to pick a color scheme so everything looks pulled together. I found these two classrooms via Pinterest. I think the way they decorated is effective because of the color schemes they chose:
School Girl Style
Dandelions and Dragonflies
I'm considering donating the mis-matched baskets to another teacher and getting more book tubs like these from Really Good Stuff. You can order sets by color, so once I pick a color scheme I'm set. I think these will work for my book sets since I'll be able to squeeze more onto one shelf. Plus, our PTA usually gives us a small stipend for classroom spending each year. I'm hoping it will cover a few sets.
For the individual student book tubs, I snagged a bunch of these years ago at a Target when they were on sale. I even had a store clerk round up all of the ones from the back room. Then I went to another Target near our house to get more. I now have a class set - one for each student to have their own book tub. I'm not sure if Target still sells them or not. The brand is Sterilite.
Whew! No wonder I'm exhausted.
Take a moment and head on over to Learning is Something to Treasure. She just reached 50+ followers and is giving away TWO $25 gift certificates to TpT!