Math Workshop, Part 3


Math Workshop Binder


Divider #5 - Number Grids
This section has expanded greatly since I have joined the blogging world.  First, I have a four-page document of activities involving the number grid.

Next, I have a few 100 grids with just a few numbers written on them.  You could have the kids fill these out as an entry task or review.  I use them as ways to practice following directions.  I will pass out a copy to all of my students and give directions on which numbers to fill out based upon the numbers already provided.  For example:  Write the number that is 10 more than 37.  Write the number that is 3 less than 21.  The great news about this activity is you can do this activity over several days because you won't be filling in many numbers all at one time.



I found many, many wonderful freebies over at Lil' Country Kindergarten.  Even though she created them for her kindergarteners, these worksheets provide a fun way for second graders to work with a number grid while following written directions.  Here is just one example of Lil' Country Kindergarten's finished number grids:

Another idea I found via Pinterest.  Here is the picture I found:
I tracked down the source to a site called Carol's Cutting Edge.  I love this idea.  All you need to do is print your hundreds grid puzzles on to colored cardstock paper.  Cut your grid into however many pieces you would like and place into a Ziploc baggie.  I suggest labeling each baggie (Set 1, Set 2, etc.) AND label the back of each puzzle piece with the set number. 


 Finally, I have the masters for my number grid task card sets & recording sheet.  I have several sets (less than 100, less than 1,000, and more than 1,000).  When it is time to work, students grab the task card set and a recording sheet (assigned for differentiated learning).  Each set has the same puzzle pattern shapes in the baggie, but with different numbers on them.  This means I can use the same recording sheet each time.  There is a spot on the recording sheet to write the set number the student is working on.  Here is a peek at some of the cards from the various sets:


Here are the links to my previous posts:
Part 1
Part 2

2 comments:

A Teacher Without a Class said...

These are so fun. I love math ideas!

Brenda said...

Storie...I'm going to say it again: this is a fabulous resource! I'm wondering if I can get mine together before school starts on MONDAY! If nothing else, I can get a start on it, I suppose. Would you mind sharing your 4-page doc you have at the beginning of the number grid section? Thanks again for posting about your binder!

Primary Inspired

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...