How to Make a PB & J and Keep On Rollin' 2

The second graders at our school spend a portion of the year learning to do procedural writing (aka How-To Writing).  I had been looking for a way to spice up this writing project this year.  Someone in the blogging world pointed me in this direction:
Pinned Image
One of the first writing projects we attempted was How to Make a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich.  Through a lot of modeling, modeling, modeling, we finally came up with these:
Student # 1 - wheat bread

 Student # 1 - an up-close picture of the sandwich


Student # 2 - white bread

Student #3 - an up-close image of the writing


The peanut butter sandwiches were created using the template in the pack mentioned above with a small modification.  The example in the template showed jelly on top of peanut butter on top of bread.  The jelly had a smiley face on it.  My students thought it would make more sense to have two slices of bread so we did that and I gave them a title template to put on their sandwich.  We also used a brad to attach the sandwich pieces so you could still open the sandwich and see what was inside.  Most of my students are finishing the first draft of their How to Carve a Pumpkin piece.  If I get some volunteer help this week they will get a chance to make their pumpkins to go with their writing pieces.




I have added a new pack to my TpT store to include more independent dice games.  These are games my second grade students play in class during math workshop.  If you have purchased the Keep on Rollin' pack, you might enjoy these games, too.  



 Number Neighbors - there are two versions of this game in the pack.  Students practice identifying a number that is 1 more, 1 less, 10 more, or 10 less.


 Add 'Em Up - working on fast addition facts


 Take 'Em Away - working on fast subtraction facts


Cover 'Em All - roll the dice, add the numbers, and cover the number on the board.  Students will be exposed to probability in this game as they realize some numbers are easier to roll than others.


 Roll to 100 - students will roll the die and move their marker forward that many spaces.  The game is over when a child's marker lands on or passes 100.


Want to win a free pack?  Leave a comment below with a way to contact you.  I will do a random number drawing by the end of the week for one lucky winner :)

5 comments:

Tania said...

These ideas look great! I want PBJ for breakfast.
Tania
My Second Sense

Mrs. Brown said...

I have the How to writing packet as well- I love it!! :) Very cute dice games!! My kids love playing games that involve dice!!

Katie
smileykate52@hotmail.com

Tracey Schimke said...

The sandwich writing turned out soooo cute! And I LOVE your pack!!
Tracey
Third Grade All Stars

Sara Soucy said...

I'm not sure which one I like better! The PB&J project is so cute. And the games look like such fun!

Sara :)
Smiling In Second Grade

Barb said...

Hi Storie
I just found your adorable blog and am now a follower. I've also Boo-ed you. You can read all about it on my blog at:http://itsabouttimeteachers.blogspot.com/2012/10/word-work-reading-recovery-way-pt-7.html
I hope you'll want to participate in this fun linky party.

Barb
itsabouttimeteachers.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...