Birthday Celebrations


Our school policy on birthdays is that students may not bring in a treat unless they are in Kindergarten.  So, I try to make a child feel special on (or around) his birthday by doing a couple of things.  I have a summer birthday, so I always reassure those kiddos who also have summer birthdays that we will celebrate their birthday before the end of the school year.

First, he gets to pick out a birthday straw from the jar.  Thank you Pinterest for the idea :)


Next, he gets a little birthday treat from the teacher:
I know, I know...I have set myself up for a problem this year.  I buy one box in August and put them in the freezer.  Then I usually buy another box in February to get through the second half of my students.  I'm almost through the first box and Hostess is no longer making these little cupcakes for me.  So, do you give your students a birthday treat?  What do you hand out?


Finally, we sing a birthday cheer.  I saw the idea on two different blogs last summer:

I tweaked it a tiny bit to fit my needs.  My part is in bold text.  The student's part is in italic text.  I have noted the one part we say in unison:

I don't know what I've been told.
I don't know what I've been told.
Someone here is getting old.
Someone here is getting old.
The bad news is we sing off key.
The bad news is we sing off key.
The good news is we sing for free.
The good news is we sing for free.
Happy,
Happy,
Birthday,
Birthday,
(in unison) Happy, Happy, Birthday...To You!


I think it is a fun way to sing because the students aren't familiar with it and it makes them feel special.  I also like it because the kids don't have 40 extra verses to add to the traditional birthday song.  You know those verses I'm talking about, right?  If not, you're lucky!!

So, head on over and share how you celebrate birthdays in your classroom.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Thank birthday cheer is great!! And who EVER would have thought that the Ding Dongs would have disappeared!? Thanks so much for linking up to Team Teaching Tuesday!!

❤ -Stephanie
Falling Into First

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...