Reading Roundup

With a name like Storie I definitely grew up with a love for reading.  For the past few years, I have kept a list of all the books I read for enjoyment.  I don't think it would surprise anyone to hear that my reading took a drastic nosedive right after my daughter was born and it is just starting to pick up again.  I saw that Pitner's Potpourri was hosting a linky party that celebrates what's on your reading wishlist and knew I had to join in!
This linky party has each participant sharing one professional book you want to read, one book you want to read strictly for pleasure, and one book you want to use to teach a skill in your classroom.  Alright, here goes:
 
Professional Read
 
The Common Core Lesson Book K-5 by Gretchen Owocki

This was a Christmas gift from my principal.  I will tell you that it sat untouched over Christmas break - okay, that's not 100% true.  My daughter did try to pick it up off the table a few times :)  Anyhow, it is on my wishlist of professional books to read.  We are currently in a state of transition to the common core so I am trying to get myself acquainted with the gaps between our current grade level expectations and those of the common core.  I hope this book will be useful!


 
Personal Read

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Here's the description from amazon.com:
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

 
Book to Teach a Skill
You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
 
Last summer I read on someone's blog about this book and how they not only used it for choral reading, but also used it during a fairy tale genre study.  I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of this book and use it with my students.
 
 
 
Now, I might be breaking the rules of the linky a little bit, but I think it's only fair to share a few books that I have recently finished, too:
Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult
 
 
Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer
 
 
Spotting for Nellie by Pamela Lowell
 
 
Three Girls and a Baby by Rachel Schurig

4 comments:

First Grade Carousel said...

Hi, I am your newest follower. Your Common Core book looks interesting. We too are moving towards Common Core. It is great to find helpful things to read in order to make the transition. Thanks, Maria

Mary at pitnerm.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for linking up, Storie! I use Owocki's Common Core book ALL the time! You will like it. Gone Girl is my next pleasure read, so we will have to compare notes.
I LOVE all the You Read to Me, I'll Read to You books. I rotate them through my Buddy Reading station. Your kids will like them.
Happy New Yea!
Mary at Pitner's Potpourri

UsingMyTeacherVoice said...

I loved Gone Girl. I could not put it down. I read it on my iPad when my son was a few months old. I remember pacing in the dark trying to get him to sleep, with my iPad in one hand because I couldn't stop reading! How terrible is that!

Sarah
Using My Teacher Voice

Communication Station: Speech Therapy, PLLC said...

The Common core standards book looks good for us SLPs too. Need to work in conjunction with these changes in education to get the biggest bang for our buck, I say! I also LOVE mysteries/suspense books...I love the puzzle of trying to figure out "who done it" so to speak. Now I must download Gone Girl to my kindle I think. Thanks for your recommendations!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...